The benefits of living in a house with acreage in Mission are many and the warm home can serve as a great place to celebrate the festive spirit with your loved ones. But even when we are preparing our home for Christmas and the harsh winter that comes with it, we can tend to miss out on the following things. Here are a few measures that you can take to have a nicely maintained home during winters.
Protecting the pipes is a good idea: We have pipes all across the house and locations such as attics, basements, and outer walls are prone to go into freezing during the harsh weather. In case you are expecting very cold temperature prepare in advance and let the water drip from both the cold and hot faucets throughout the night. If you keep the cabinet doors open then the warm air can circulate in spots. However , in order to deal with the pipes in the aforementioned areas you can always arrange for some extra insulation around them .
Having an energy efficient design: Your house will have a constantly running heating system in order to cope up with the harsh winters. In these times there are some things you can do to make your home energy efficient:
- Changing HVAC filters regularly
- Check the insulation for crawlspace and attic
- Insulate the ceilings in your house as heat escapes upwards
- Seal other areas like attic hatch, recessed lights, plumbing vents and more
- Maintain proper ventilation across attic and house interior
- Install storm windows for keeping the cold at bay
- Using fireplace to keep the place warm
- Prevent heat loss using the dampers at the bottom of firebox or keep a nearby window slightly open while keeping doors closed
- Always keep firewood stored in a dry place at least 25-30 feet from fireplace
Always be prepared for contingencies: Winter months can also bring in some snow and create blackouts unexpectedly. Therefore, you need to be proactive and ready yourselves for any contingencies that may occur. Here are some things you can use to be ready for any situation:
- Fully functional flashlights
- Food items that don't perish
- Warm blankets
- Bottled drinking water
- Contact information of all the utility companies
- Stacked first aid kit
- Proper backup for electronic devices like computers, a good battery backup can do the trick
- If you own an emergency generator, the make sure that you store the gasoline safely so that you can use it when you need it.
Decorating the place responsibly: Amidst that festive spirit it is possible that we may lose track of some safety measures while decorating our places. Therefore, always make sure that you decorate the place safely. Here are a few pointers:
- Inspect all the wires carefully before turning them on
- Check the Christmas tree and its decorations thoroughly before lighting it up
- Check for any natural wear and tear to the wiring that might have occurred during storage
- Keep a check of tree disposal methods set by the local authorities once the new year blooms.
And last but not the least keep your yard clear at all times. Regular maintenance helps you stay clear of rodents and allows you to keep a check on all changing things in the area. Always keep a track of any cracks or opening around the house that can reduce the warmth or let the mice enter your place. To buy a house with acreage in Mission, Abbotsford, Chilliwack and more visit http://fraservalleyfarm.ca/ today.