With a wide range of farms for sale in Abbotsford, a significant chunk of the population is moving their attention towards the decades long practice of hobby farming in their farms. It isn’t
done with the purpose of making a profit, but with an aim to establish an identity whilst identifying the potential money making prospects. Over the years (1941-1989) the total number of farmers involved in hobby farming have increased from 4% to 16%.
So, what can be the solution for a profitable hobby farming? Blueberries sound like a good idea. Canada’s blueberry produce is the second largest in the world and make for an excellent export product. If you wish to start a farm in Abbotsford, Langley, Mission or other nearby places then berries are a go to move.
Blueberries have been a pride of Canada for centuries, it has been used as a winter fruit by smoking it, or used to prepare a delicious blueberry pudding by mixing it with honey. In the present scenario the Canadian blueberries are in great demand and with a variety of cultivable options can bring a distinctive outlook for the new farm owners.
Time to know more about the blueberries
- Lowbush Blueberries: Canada produces the most lowbush blueberries (wild blueberries). They can be easily cultivated on your new farm on a treeless land. You can also use land that has been burnt over. They are easy to cultivate without any complicated procedures, instead they run wild and spread via underground runners. Though different in appearance at times, the taste remains consistent.
- Highbush Blueberries: The wild variety of the fruit developed during the first half of 20th century represent the cultivated variety of the blueberry fruit. These can be a great asset to your new farm as they can be harvested earlier as compared to lowbush ones. They are bigger with less perishability and well versed for retails sales. You can grow them and sell the fresh produce to the local market as the lowbush version mostly used for freezing or processing.
Why choose blueberry farming for your new farms?
Simply being able to cultivate a crop isn’t motivating enough to be involved in the farming business. One should also be aware about related information about the fruit to be able to find a keen association with the farming. Here are some sweet nutritional facts about blueberries that will make you want to grow these beautiful little blue globes in your new farm.
- Sweet Desserts: Canadian blueberries can be used to make a wide range of sweet desserts such as pancakes, muffins, pies, cakes, tarts and sauces. Not only that, but they are also useful in preparation of other dishes.
- Taste Enhancers: These berries can add greatly to the taste while preparing chicken, game and pork. Chefs also combine them with other berries to get delicious flavours for different desserts. Blueberry juice has become an instant hit in the culinary world whilst receiving the ‘Best New Juice Innovation’ by the reputed World Juice Congress (2005)
- Health Benefits: Blueberries work as dietary antioxidants thanks to their natural makeup making them a popular product among the health conscious people. With a low calories count and rich nutrients like fibres they can be consumed to maintain a healthy heart as they reduce inflammation and manages cholesterol levels.
The market demand for blueberries has been ever increasing thus making them an excellent option for your entry into the agribusiness. If you are also looking for an ideal farm to start blueberry farming on your own visit http://fraservalleyfarm.ca/ today.