When you buy a farm from a list of farms for sale in Mission for a farming venture, a major challenge is to prevent pests from harming the crops. Plant diseases, weeds and insects are of two types- harmful and not harmful. However, if these pests are present in significant numbers then there is a good chance that they will damage the crops.
One of the best ways to tackle this issue it to be prepared with an IPM- Integrated Pest Management system to the keep the crop invading pests at bay. IPM systems are cheap and easy to manage programs which can be conducted by farmers themselves.
Getting an IPM in action: The required information to start an IPM can be collected during the winters when the farmers are not farming extensively. Your plan would be a subject to your plantation history. Some additional information required to prepare an IPM includes:
- Growing plants that will help to keep the pests out of the crops
- Monitoring the crops regularly to make sure they maintain their health
- Identifying the pest problem affecting the farm
- Having an action plan to remove pests naturally
- Final action plan using pesticides
Pest Prevention: One of the best ways to avoid pests is to grow the right crops. Some crops are naturally pest resistant and can grow whilst withstanding substantial pest damage. Another way is to grow different crops in the area or have a gap of four years before repeating the same crop on same land.
Other way to prevent pests is to take care of the crops right from the start. Maintaining right distance between the plants helps the leaves to be dry, which is prevents pest damage. Additionally mulching helps the soil to maintain the required moisture whilst mitigating the risk of insects, diseases and weeds on the crops.
Watching out for pests: Observing the crops regularly will help you keep a track of any pests and allow you to take timely action if you observe any. The growing phase needs the most observation. Here are a list of things that one can maintain when keeping a check on pests:
- Careful eye during the plant’s growth stages
- Note down the number of insects, weeds or unnecessary plants
- Total crop area affected by pests
- Cause of the ongoing problem
- Extent of damage caused by the pests
- Observe if problem is expanding or contracting
With the aforementioned knowledge at our disposal you can use different methods to get rid of pests. Some of them are listed in the points below:
- Grow the plants that keep pests away around the crops
- Incinerate any diseased crops to prevent he pest from growing and spreading to healthy crops
- Use natural insect enemies in case the pests are insects. A pest eating insect won’t harm the crops
- Regularly mulch the crops
- Pesticides are basically poison and that is why they are the last resort when trying to get rid of pests. Use them if all else fails. Here are ways to use them:
- Use it carefully so that they don’t cause damage to soil, animals, family or crops
- Read the instructions and label of the pesticide carefully. Always take some expert advice before using them
- Use pesticides for specific crops on the label and only for the problems mentioned on the label.
- Do not overuse the pesticides and always keep within the prescribes limits
Therefore, plan your venture carefully and take good care of the crops from the beginning. Visit http://fraservalleyfarm.ca/ today and find the best land for your farming venture.